Friday, April 21, 2006

Reject The Lie: Part II

Teddy's poem for church this week.....


Reject The Lie: Part II

Reject the lie, because in Adam all die
But in Christ's resurrection we have been made alive
Alive to the extent that addictions aren't binding
Alive to the point that judging our neighbors isn't even an option
Alive to the culturally absurd state that selflessness is the norm
Alive to a spiritual world that can only perpetuate life

It sounds beautiful, I can almost see it
But then I open my eyes to the reality of my heart
I walk into rooms full of "brothers and sisters" tearing each others favorite toys apart
We sit in conversations that conveniently kill the inconvenient
I watch men pull themselves up by the legs of the throne
To sit in a seat created for the king and Him alone

I feel pressure for success driven and determined by the world
We us rulers marked in dollars and cents measuring all the we can unfurl
And we wake up useless to America like John Wayne Bobitt
So comfortable and content that our gag reflex is numb and we can't vomit
Because we've forgotten that the source of the power is the gospel
Not our consistency, our kindness, or how much we tithed to the local chapel

And there's a few that get it, and they live it
While most sit around apathetically saying "well, that's good for them, they're gifted"
And they are, but they're gifted with the same Holy Spirit that we claim
They've been made alive through the death of the only son with a perfect name
So it's not OK to walk through life enjoying the atrophy of apathy
And I will not sleep well at night ignoring all that I know I could, I know I should
Because ignorance is only bliss until the gavel strikes wood
So when I show up next week smile at you and tell you everything's just fine
Don't pacify my denial, pray that our Lord keeps me up at night connecting my heart to my spine

Reject the lie, reject the lie
Reject the lie that God is not good
Reject the lie that the gospel is powerless
Reject the lie that you're not justified
Reject the lie, because in Adam all die
But in Christ's resurrection we have been made alive
Alive to the ability to live for more than ourselves
Alive to the potential to live in power and freedom
Alive to the opportunity to perpetuate life
Alive to perpetuate life
ALIVE!

No comments: